Saturday 22 March 2014

Empty Vases



The vases around my house still wait with longing to be filled with the beautiful finds of Spring…..or maybe it is my heart that is longing to see them filled.  Spring is long in coming this year to Manitoba, Canada. It is – 25 Celsius this morning and as I sit in my princess chair, where take time to reflect most mornings, I look out my window and see a vast expanse of white snow and ask….”How much longer?”

Maybe it is time to stop looking at the empty vases, which reminds me of what is not here yet.  Instead, why not fill the vases with the beauty that is. 

So this morning I did just that.  I drew a little picture of a vase and I filled it with my spring flowers list. 
  • The gift of these last 3 months with my beautiful daughter Amanda here with us in Canada (she leaves Wednesday for Washington DC)
  • A walk and a cup of coffee at “the Forks” in Winnipeg with our good friend Ev
  • Seeing the beauty of hoar frost on the trees on the drive to Winnipeg the other day
  • Tea-time with Oma 
    Tea Time with Oma
  • Talking on skype with Phil in Zimbabwe and listening to him share his burden for the children he had just visited who live on the slums of Balawayo
    Children on the dumps of Balawayo, Zimbabwe
  • Watching Alex perform with his dance company tomorrow
  • A great evening of conversation with John and Vanessa last night while eating Chinese take out in their home
  • Listening to Katherine (my little niece) play the Harry Potter theme song on the piano
  • Practicing with our church’s worship band for Sunday’s service
  • A meaningful time of sharing with our small group last Tuesday
  • Reading an “I love you mom” text from Michael





Wow, how full, beautiful, and diverse is the vase of my heart.  
I just need to go out and pick the flowers that are there all around me just waiting to be seen.






3 comments:

  1. the earth itself is FILLED with Glory. Those who see are "like a watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail (to heal).” Isaiah 58:11 (NIV)

    ReplyDelete