Sunday 9 July 2017

2 Weeks Later…






My heart is still caught in the afterglow of the wedding day.  As a mother-of-the-bride there is a kind of fragile and vulnerable bundle that you carry with you when it comes to your daughter’s wedding.  That bundle is packed with wishes, lots and lots of prayers, hopes, blessings, memories, probably some expectations, lessons learned, growing pains and so much more.




I remember, 25 years ago, rocking our precious little girl Amanda, still in awe at the miracle of having been a part of creating this new being, and at the same time already feeling the inevitable pain that comes with knowing that someday we would be “letting her go”.



 

Already then I was hoping and praying that the Lord would bless her with a life partner who would love, cherish, and walk along side of her while she continued to be the person that God created her to be.  I prayed and blessed the family which this person would grow up in.  So here I am, 25 years later, in awe at the goodness of God in having led David and Amanda together.  





As a “missionary” now living in a different country than 2 of my kids, there are some things that come with that lifestyle which are not part of what every mother wishes for.  There is a lot of letting go, usually sooner than you feel ready to.  For me there has been the “dying” to having a “homestead” with a heritage and permanent roots, and truly knowing where that place is. There is also a selfish and jealous side of me that pops up when I think that others might take “my” mother role and walk along side “my” children.  How silly am I to think that we can keep for ourselves what is not ours, and not to see that there is far greater reward in giving, trusting, and letting go of what is not ours to keep in the first place.




So, 2 weeks later, I say thank you Lord for loving and blessing us as we let go and watched the joining of these two precious lives ...lives that have been prayed for by many, even by some of you over the years.
 David and Amanda we bless you!

Mom


3 comments:

  1. Tam, it's so good to read your thoughts surrounding the wedding of your daughter as we approach the wedding of our daughter. So much goodness God has given and the mothers heart inside of me is thinking much the same as have you. It is interesting to be on this journey of letting go and wanting to hold on for always! Keeps me on my knees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Wendy, so true. Keeps us on our knees . Blessings to you and your children on this special day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, it was at once a culmination and a new beginning. Thankful for the joyous day it was, God honoring in every way. May God bless you and Phil as you step into this new paradigm. xoxo

      Delete