Monday 6 January 2014

Crazy Cold on the Prairies

Snow Waves

Crazy Cold on the Prairies

You know it is REALLY cold when the weather makes the headlines on the prairies of Canada and uses words such as: intense,frigid, longest, coldest. I’m still not sure why they call it a “cold snap” because in my mind a “snap” is something that doesn’t last very long.  This cold snap has lasted over 6 weeks!!   This morning it was -33 C/ -27 F , the windchill -45 C.  My Canadian friends and family say: “Just for you Tammy. You get to experience a real Canadian prairie winter!”

I have to be honest with you, this is quite an adjustment for me. I don’t find that I am a natural at hibernating and I find the extreme of these natural winter elements  (cold, wind) push me out of my comfort zone and challenge my choice of attitude and action towards it.  How I choose to respond and look at what for me is a challenge can define the way I see the world around me. I am wanting to learn and hoping to grow. Phil and Alex, my real Canadian men, are loving the cold and snow and constantly encouraging me….and Amanda and I, who is staying with us for a month after having graduated this December from Wheaton college ... well, we joined the health club today. :-)

So once again it comes down to a choice and I can even say that because of the temperature there are so many things that I am thankful for on these cold prairie days !

Here are a few of them…


Walk in the snow with Amanda who just graduated from College and is spending some time with us up north!



The beauty of winter!




Time for tea with my hubby!














A warm home to play games together
Our favorite game "Settlers of Catan"


Cozy times of visiting with Oma!

...and I could mention many more :-)


1 comment: